Sunday, November 28, 2010

By Popular Request: Magnet Board DIY

You may remember this post from a couple months back. By popular request (and because I'm teaching Kate) here are the steps to make your own {Magnet Board}.

I originally had asked my dad to cut the metal for me, but because he's overloaded with his own projects, I went in search of something to substitute.

Enter this.


Found at a local craft supply store on clearance for $5. I removed the wire that was looped into two holes on right.

Next, I took a pretty, patterned wrapping paper and cut a rectangle, just larger than the sign. I think you could also use scrapbook paper, but it's hard to find some that is big enough. I've found that the more expensive wrapping paper works better because it's thicker. It's also nice to find the paper with the grid, because it helps keep it in line.


You can see my little helper's paw above.


Then, on a table covered with newspaper, I sprayed the front of the sign with tacky spray. The directions say to wait one minute before you add the paper -- and I actually followed them for once. :)

Next, roll your wrapping paper with the wrong-side facing outward. This is husband's trick. This allows you place the wrapping paper on the sign with a lot control -- because when you put the paper on the metal, there is no turning back. It also helps control the air bubbles, which aren't any fun.

I have also used a rolling pin to roll out some air bubbles.



Next, grab a cutting board and a knife to trim the paper around the outside of the metal. Watch your fingers!



Your board should now look like this! You're getting closer.
It should also be pointed out that you should make sure the direction of the pattern on your paper should follow where the holes are (we learned the hard way -- once).



My metal piece already had holes in it, so I simply used a pencil to poke through the paper and threaded the ribbon. Husband has also drilled holes in pieces that did not have them (this is a great couple project!).

Burn the ends of the ribbon -- it helps it look SO much more polished.


One more step! You need to give it nice, finished edges.


Use sandpaper, or a similar product, to rough up your piece, just around the edges. (Did the wrapping paper magically change colors?!)


Add fun magnets! I've also made them out of buttons with magnets on the back and Scrabble pieces as well.

Hang on the wall or wrap as a gift.

To see the one I made Kate for her birthday, click here. 

Enjoy! If you use this DIY, I'd love to see pictures!!

Love, Leigh

2 comments:

  1. soo cute! very fun and festive... love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about a magnet board and settled on bulletin board because I couldn't figure out how to do it easily! Now I might have to reconsider again...

    ReplyDelete

Leave us love <3