Wednesday, December 1, 2010
The Bigger Picture
. . . it seems like a weird topic to write about, but I need to get it off my brain and my heart.
I never thought about the size of my engagement ring -- well, hardly ever. I did not set any requirements for my husband, not of that "if it's not this size, I won't marry you" business. I actually requested smaller rings, simply because I wanted to marry the man. I wanted him, not glitter.
My engagement ring is SO special to me, as everyone's is (or will be) -- I'm sure. Scott picked it out all on his own. He heard me mention that I thought my mom's ring was gorgeous and perfect (a simply, brilliant solitaire on a gold band) and went in that direction when choosing mine. I love that. I love that mine looks like a daughter to my mom's: similar, but also completely different.
I love my ring, because it came straight from my husband's heart.
I am also the person who feels insanely uncomfortable when someone compares my ring to theirs or someone else's.
(You know exactly what I'm talking about . . . somehow the hands get near each other and they point out similarities . . . no one actually talks about the size difference.)
Anyway, that makes me INSANELY uncomfortable. Especially when the ring is smaller than mine. I. do. not. care. I am not any better of a person because my ring is bigger.
This all being said, at my new job -- at a public school -- there is some bling.
And some people who think that it is TERRIBLE to have a "small" ring. That they are "worth" more than "that."
I think I may get sick.
Women of the world: your engagement ring does not define you. It does not make you any more or less of a person. More will not fulfill you.
More will never be enough for you.
I've known people to pine away for a certain size ring. Ladies, pine away for a certain man.
Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. Colossians 3:2
The happiness of engagement is so much more than the size of your ring, it's about sharing the rest of your life with the person who just put the ring (what ever size it is) on your finger.
And with that . . . I wish you all this happiness (sans the bumpy chin).
I'm also thinking "this is a lot bigger than I was expecting.
(Even though some people think that it's "unacceptably small")
Love you all.
Leigh
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Well said!
ReplyDeleteHello--perfect post! Your ring is perfect...and what a great reminder Colossians 3:2 is! xoxo
ReplyDelete