This Monday-lover had a very rough Monday.
As a part of my school's professional development today, the teachers took a bus ride through our district to look at some of the residences in our very diverse district. We drove by million-dollar houses by the water and own-it-today-for-ninety-nine-cent trailer parks. We walked our put-together selves into a motel room in which many of our students have lived. As a parade of Coach purses and North Face jackets tracked from the bus to the parking-lot, I literally felt ashamed of myself.
The "living space" smelled of stale cigarette smoke and rot. The front and only windows were covered in clear bathroom brick. My stomach turns writing about it.
It was overwhelmingly depressing and I feel hopeless, but God wants me here -- in this district -- for a reason. God wants me to experience these things to slap me and my "I want more" attitude in the face.
The book above was written by a student in my district -- believe it or not. We were each given a book today to read and mull over. It completely broke my heart and literally brings me raw in front God, asking Him to touch the lives of children who are neglected, abused, and not told that they are the most precious thing in the world.
God bless those who adopt and foster these babies -- maybe some day I will be one of them.
Thank God for all he has given me -- including amazing parents, in-laws, husband, and friends. I must constantly remind myself that I am SO rich & I need to strive more and more every day to share with others.
Does anyone else feel like they could be doing more? Isn't the most rewarding thing in life to reach out a hand to another?
Please, pray for my students.

This is SUCH a good post. Isn't it amazing how within one district there can be such a drastic difference in SES and lifestyle? When I did my student teaching students in my classroom got Taylor Swift tickets (from their parents) for getting all A's. Now, at the school (same district) I am going to be doing my long term in I had a student tell me that she is striving for all A's because her Mom pays her $3 per A. A total of probably $15 vs. Taylor Swift tickets? It breaks my heart. This is why teaching is one of the most important jobs in the world. Half the time, we are probably all they have. It's both scary and exhilarating at the same time.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I loved reading this. It takes things like this to remind us of what's important. No it's not the latest fashions, but so much more!
ReplyDeleteAnd I always feel like I should be doing more:-)